BKS Iyengar (Guruji) is one of the biggest influencers on the practice of yoga as it is today. He is the founder of Iyengar yoga, and was the first person to teach to a large group of students. One of his many authored books, Light On Yoga, is the foundational guide that mentors all aspiring yoga teachers through the philosophy and practice of yoga–it has been translated in 18 languages! Without Guruji’s teachings, yoga would not exist as it does today. Here are 7 Inspiring Quotes from BKS Iyengar:
- Action is movement with intelligence. The world is filled with movement. What the world needs is more conscious movement, more action.
- Body is the bow, asana is the arrow and the soul is the target.
- Change is not something that we should fear. Rather, it is something that we should welcome. For without change, nothing in this world would grow or blossom, and no one in this world would ever move forward to become the person they’re meant to be.
- Health is a state of complete harmony in the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open.
- It is through your body that you realize you are a spark of divinity.
- Your body exists in the past and your mind exists in the future. In yoga, they come together in the present.
- Penetration of our mind is our goal, but in the beginning to set things in motion, there is no substitute for sweat.
Even at 95 years old, Guruji continued his yoga practice and performed each pose with ease. He was truly an artist. BKS Iyengar passed away at 95 years old in August of 2014.
Tags: iyengar, quotes, yoga