Our Superfood Investment 101 series is here to help you understand the “buzz word superfoods” you should know about, why they’re so healthy and why they’re so expensive. You will learn about the history and benefits of our favorite hand-picked ingredients and decide which is the best investment for you.
Goji berries, originally known as wolf berries, have been used for centuries in China. The legend behind goji berries lies from China’s Tang Dynasty, telling that there was a Buddhist temple which built a reputation as the fountain of youth. Those who drank from the well, infused with the goji fruit from vines on all sides of the wall, were said to have radiant complexion and reverse signs of aging. While we don’t import them as fresh berries today, they are generally found sun-dried (pictured above) or as powder. It’s important to buy these from an organic source using sustainable practices when harvesting, such as my favorite, Navitas Naturals.
In addition to the ‘legend of goji berries’, there is science that backs up the incredible nutritional benefits here. They include 18 essential amino acids, high amounts of antioxidants, vitamins A, E and C, and 20+ additional trace minerals. Ounce-for-ounce, goji berries contain more vitamin C than oranges, more beta-carotene than carrots, and more iron than soybeans and spinach (source). That is reason enough that this should be on the top list of your superfood investment. Here are additional benefits of goji berries:
The Overall Benefits:
- Bright, Soft Skin: The high amounts of vitamins E, C, antioxidants and omega-3 fats assist in clear, radiant skin.
- Overall Anti-Aging: The incredible amounts of antioxidants and amino acids help oxidize the blood and slow down and/or reverse signs of aging including: stable joints, skin discoloration, vision, heart health and more. The polysaccharides stimulate the pituitary gland to produce more of the Human Growth Hormone (HGH), which assists the body in the aging process.
- Boosts Immune System: The unique combination of polysaccharides found in goji berries strengthen the immune system more than any other berry.
- Better Vision: There is a high amount of carotenoids, including zeaxanthin, which help decrease the risk of eye disease and aid in vision as we age.
How To Use It:
- They’re great topped on smoothies, oatmeal, granola or yogurt; if you buy the powder, it’s a great addition to any smoothie for an amazing flavor boost
- Add them to your baked goods such as cookies, muffins, granola bars (See: Goji Berry & Chocolate Chip Muffins!)
- Add them to trail mix with other raw nuts, seeds and super foods for a balanced snack
- Nosh on them all by themselves!
What other super foods do you want to learn more? Dish in the comments below or Tweet us @allgoodhealth_!