This decadent, easy-to-make breakfast almost seems unhealthy when you’re eating it – because it’s really, really good. Healthy food shouldn’t make you feel deprived, it should make you happy, satiated and inspired to experiment with your favorite ingredients. If you’re a lover of the occasional hash brown, you are going to love this dish.
The most labor-intensive part of this dish is grating the sweet potato. That’s it. And honestly, it takes about 90 seconds. It’s a great breakfast to make for one during the week (as I did here with a single ramekin), or if you have company for brunch (you can simply use a muffin tin). I served it over a kale salad, et voilá! You’ve got your greens, protein, and “carb” from the sweet potato (which boasts amazing nutritional benefits carrying loads of vitamin A, vitamin C, and fiber).
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Baked Egg:
1 small sweet potato, grated
Freshly grated white cheddar (farm fresh!)
1 egg or more (organic, cage-free)
Red pepper flakes
Himalayan sea salt
Ingredients for Kale Salad Dressing:
1 part freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 parts olive oil
1 small shallot, minced
1/4 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp local organic honey
1 tsp hemp seeds
Himalayan sea salt
- Coat the ramekin or baking tin you’re using in any of the following: coconut oil, ghee or grass-fed butter
- Mix the grated sweet potato and cheese in about a 4:1 ratio (the cheese helps it stay together) in a small bowl
- Spoon the mixture into your baking dish so that there is a thick layer on the bottom and all sides, push down evenly and sprinkle ground garlic
- Crack the egg directly in the baking dish
- Sprinkle with red pepper and sea salt
- Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes, until the top of the egg is set and the sweet potato mix is slightly browned
- Mix all of the ingredients for the salad dressing together in a mason jar and pour a small amount on top of some baby kale or spinach (save the rest for later, lasts up to 5 days)
- Carefully carve the egg “muffin” out of the tin and serve on salad!
Share this recipe with your friends by clicking the social links above!