So… Erewhon just opened in Venice (an organic, natural foods market) and they have the best chocolate cake and cookies. Yes, they’re organic and made with good ingredients. But when I found myself eating leftover flourless chocolate cake for breakfast last weekend I had simultaneous feelings of #idgaf I’m an adult and what am I doing with my life? Truthfully, I have a major sweet tooth. Chocolate chips in my pancakes forever.
That’s kind of how these cookies came about. I am fully aware that cake for breakfast is NO NO, organic or not – unless it’s your birthday, of course. So I decided to put together a bunch of healthful ingredients and make a NOURISHING COOKIE BREAKFAST out of it. Yup, they’re healthy, full of great ingredients to get your day going, and simultaneously satisfy your sweet tooth. #WINNING
These cookies have lots of protein from the oats and quinoa, healthy fat from the chia seeds and coconut flakes, and natural sugars from the banana and dates. You can opt out of the chocolate chips, but if you do then we can’t be friends. They’re so easy to grab n’ go for breakfast or a quick snack–and you can feel great about eating them because even if there’s a little sugar, they’re homemade and you know EXACTLY everything that went into them. Here’s how to make Protein Breakfast Cookies:
1/2 cup gluten-free oats
Handful medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 egg (sub flax egg if you’re vegan)
1/4 cup quinoa (uncooked)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup, more or less, 70% higher dark chocolate chips (antioxidants, hello!!)
Himalayan sea salt
- In a food processor, blend the oats, dates, coconut flakes and cinnamon, until sticky crumbs form (AKA rawnola)
- In a mixing bowl, mash the banana and mix in the rawnola
- Start to mix in the chia seeds, egg, quinoa, baking powder and dark chocolate chips
- Scoop onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, should make about 8-10 cookies, and bake at 350 for 12 minutes
- At about the 8 minute mark, top with a tiny bit of sea salt
- Let cool completely before eating!
VOILA! Show me your recipes by tagging #allgoodhealth on Instagram!